Sunday, November 30, 2014

Taking Notice of Sustainable Alternatives to Cage Raised Turkeys

HAPPY THANKSGIVING WEEK!

When I miss NYC, the NYT and New York Daily News satisfies my need to know what is happening in that crazy place.  So, I was pleasantly surprised when I encountered an article in the NYDN titled "Less mutant turkey, more gamey goose" listing pleasantly surprising alternatives to the caged raised, overweight (and not in a good way) hormone fed turkeys. Few people may be surprised to know that geese are a great sustainable alternative to turkeys, and they described to  are more tasty and fatty (in a good way)  than the all white meat turkeys people buy. There are some farm raised, free ranging turkeys that one can find, and those are raised in a more environmental friendly way but in a place like NYC, most people may not be able to afford them or find them. In NC, it is easier to find free ranging and farm raised turkeys but those sold at Walmart are still cheaper (and bigger). I don't eat aves but if I did, I would try me a nice wild caught goose for thanksgiving.

check out the article! and may your next thanksgiving have some tasty goose

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/dan-nosowitz-mutant-turkey-gamey-goose-article-1.2025011

No comments:

Post a Comment